BB-FOSTC - Serial Converter, RS-232 MODEM DB25 F to MM Fiber ST
- Extend serial signals up to 4 km (2.5 mi) over multi-mode fiber
- Point-to-point or multi-drop ring configuration
- Inherent EMI/RFI immunity/isolation from surges, spikes, ground loops
- Data rates: RS-232, up to 115.2 kbps; RS-422/485, 500 kbps
- Quick, inline installation
- External power source required (not included, sold separately)
The BB-FOSTC provides the most versatile connection possible between asynchronous serial equipment using fiber optic cable. Any two pieces of asynchronous serial equipment can communicate full- or half-duplex over two fibers at distances up to 4 km (2.5 mi). The converter can be used for point-to-point communications between serial devices. It can also be used to create a multi-drop master/slave configuration, allowing one serial device to talk to multiple slave devices around a fiber ring. RS-232, RS-422 or RS-485 data signals are supported. Different standards can be mixed and matched to allow RS-232 devices to connect to RS-422 or RS-485 systems. This means Model FOSTC can replace converters and isolators when connecting remote devices, while providing the EMI/RFI and transient immunity of optical fiber. Model FOSTC supports both Transmit Data and Receive Data lines, and provides full hardware control of the RS-485 driver with B B SmartWorx Automatic Send Data Control circuit. All serial connections are provided on the same DB25 female connector, while the multi-mode fiber is connected via two ST connectors. Powered by 12 VDC at 140 mA (maximum). An external power sourced is required (not included, sold separately).